Southern Africa is rich in natural wonders and beauty. In order to introduce would-be travel trade and industry stakeholders to all the region has to offer, RETOSA put together and launched an e-learning programme in May 2016 at INDABA Travel Fair. Who wouldn't want to brush up on their knowledge about tourist offerings in southern Africa, at their own pace and in the privacy of their own home, offices or mobile phones? The Southern Africa Certified Expert course now gives travel agents and tour operators the opportunity to learn all about southern Africa’s best tourist offerings. It is an interactive online learning programme that will boost the participant’s knowledge about the tourism attractions of the region.
A couple of countries in the region have used e-learning in the past to train their tour operators and travel agents. However, the evolving nature of tourism marketing and the increased competition means that there is greater leverage in having a programme that not only offers a module per member state, but covers the entire region. Mr. Kwakye Donkor, Director of Marketing and Communications said that not only can one learn more about the region’s World Heritage Sites, but using the Southern Africa Certified Expert course, one can also learn about the diverse cultures, incredible people, natural attractions, inviting destinations and exceptional infrastructure of the region.
The course consists of 16 modules, with an introductory regional module and 15 country modules. To qualify as a bronze-level Southern Africa Certified Expert, the participant only needs to complete six modules (the regional module and five country modules of their choice). To qualify as a silver-level or gold-level expert, travel agents and tour operators can improve their knowledge and certification by completing an additional five or ten country modules.
On the successful completion of the necessary modules, learners will be certified as either a bronze-, silver- or gold-level expert in southern Africa travel and tourism. The increased knowledge of the region will help users to better structure business or leisure trips for their clients and prospective travellers. Kate Turkington of Flow Communications said the following, “I love the site! It’s so clean, clear and concise with gorgeous images."
One of RETOSA’s main functions is to enhance the positive perceptions of the region. It is therefore important that it functions as an effective communication platform that is both educational and informative in order to promote southern Africa for leisure tourism and investment. Visit www.certifiedexpert.retosa.co.za to start the course and get certified.
- From the acting executive directors desk: SADC Ministers responsible for Tourism approve RETOSA’s Transformation Plan
- RETOSA Revamps Website to make it more user-friendly
- Train-the-Trainer Masterclass in Regional Tourism Quality Standards, Grading and Classification.
- RETOSA to showcase southern Africa in North America.
- Tourism Satellite Account Workshop a Resounding Success
Latest from The Editor
- First Annual Southern Africa Sustainable Tourism Development Conference
- Upcoming Events
- RETOSA Hosts 3rd Annual Southern Africa Women In Tourism Conference
- RETOSA Forms Strategic Partnerships in The United States of America and United Kingdom Tourism Industries
- RETOSA Secures Partnerships with International Radio Stations