RETOSA first held workshops to develop and agree upon a Regional Tourism Quality Standards Framework as well as the Tourism Quality Standards for the accommodation sector. One of the objectives of the SADC Protocol on the Development of Tourism is to improve the quality, competitiveness and standards of service in the tourism industry in the region. “In light of this, RETOSA, as the implementing agency of SADC, embarked on a process to facilitate and standardise the classification and grading systems for tourist accommodation in southern Africa” said Acting Executive Director Mr Simba Mandinyenya. RETOSA held a follow-up ‘master class’ course in Maputo, Mozambique from 11 to 23 July 2016. The course focused on improving the regional tourism industry’s quality, competitiveness and standards of service.
The objective of this Train-the-Trainer Course was to create a regional pool of experts who can train Tourism Quality Assessors at a national level. RETOSA invited senior officers responsible for Tourism Quality Standards, Classification and Grading to participate in this course.
The Mozambique Culture and Tourism Minister, Mr. Silva Armando Dunduro, the National Director of Tourism, Mr. Edward Zuber, the General Director of the National Tourism Institute, Mr. Albino Mahumane as well as our RETOSA Acting Executive Director, Simba Mandinyenya all spoke at the course. Speaking at the launch, Minister Dunduro emphasised that the Mozambican government saw tourism as a priority to boost the socio-economic development of his country.
James McGregor, the President of Eco-Planet in Morocco, who ran the course, indicated that the ‘Southern Africa Harmonised Accommodation Grading Framework’ has become a UNWTO Best Practice and case study.
Participants were awarded certificates and were urged to take up this opportunity that allowed them to improve and increase their skills within their working environment thus benefitting the tourism sector of their respective countries.
- From the acting executive directors desk: SADC Ministers responsible for Tourism approve RETOSA’s Transformation Plan
- RETOSA invites global tour and travel stakeholders to join its Certified Expert Programme
- RETOSA Revamps Website to make it more user-friendly
- RETOSA to showcase southern Africa in North America.
- Tourism Satellite Account Workshop a Resounding Success
Latest from The Editor
- First Annual Southern Africa Sustainable Tourism Development Conference
- Upcoming Events
- RETOSA Hosts 3rd Annual Southern Africa Women In Tourism Conference
- RETOSA Forms Strategic Partnerships in The United States of America and United Kingdom Tourism Industries
- RETOSA Secures Partnerships with International Radio Stations