RETOSA held a Tourism Satellite Account workshop from 4 - 8 July at the Hotel de Convencoes de Talatona Convention Hotel in Angola. 126 delegates from nine countries - Angola, the host, Botswana, DR Congo, Mozambique, Namibia, Seychelles, South Africa, Zambia and Zimbabwe - attended the workshop which was opened by Angola’s Honourable Minister of Hotels and Tourism, Mr Paulino Domingos Baptista and the SADC representatives in Angola.
The objective of the workshop was to build capacity in tourism statistics. RETOSA noticed that member states still lacked capacity as there was no data in some areas such as the departure of residents. This resulted in tourism not being included in countries’ national accounts. “What is gratifying is to see the progress that has been made in the regard, said RETOSA’s Acting Executive Director, Simba Mandinyenya. “When we started with these workshops, most members states didn't even have the basic infrastructure to collect, collate and disseminate tourism statistics. We are now at at point where most member states who have been attending our workshops can develop their own National TSA’s,” said Mandinyenya.
It was agreed that the series of capacity building workshops end in Angola with this eighth workshop being the last one. The expectation is that each member state will have developed an experimental TSA. RETOSA was cited as a global case study and best practice case. “Other countries in the world should be able to use the document produced during the workshop to learn from our mistakes, to know the pitfalls etc.,” said Mandinyenya. He also emphasised that if there is ever a need to review or continue with the programme, this workshop’s report will become the reference point.
- From the acting executive directors desk: SADC Ministers responsible for Tourism approve RETOSA’s Transformation Plan
- RETOSA invites global tour and travel stakeholders to join its Certified Expert Programme
- RETOSA Revamps Website to make it more user-friendly
- Train-the-Trainer Masterclass in Regional Tourism Quality Standards, Grading and Classification.
- RETOSA to showcase southern Africa in North America.
- Coyote Japan Familiriasation Trip to South Africa
- Malawi Digital and Social Media Workshop For Malawi Tourism and Hospitality Industry
Latest from The Editor
- First Annual Southern Africa Sustainable Tourism Development Conference
- Upcoming Events
- RETOSA Hosts 3rd Annual Southern Africa Women In Tourism Conference
- RETOSA Forms Strategic Partnerships in The United States of America and United Kingdom Tourism Industries
- RETOSA Secures Partnerships with International Radio Stations