RETOSA and the Japanese International Cooperation Agency (JICA) entered into a technical co-operation in 2011 with the aim of developing and growing tourism in southern Africa while focusing exclusively on promoting community-based tourism. A decision was taken to target Asian countries with Japan being the focus country.
This year, RETOSA and JICA facilitated a familiarisation tour for ‘Coyote’ journalists to Botswana, Namibia, South Africa and Zimbabwe with from 18 to 29 August. Coyote is Japanese magazine which focuses on a ‘living in travel’ experience and ‘traveling in daily life’. The magazine, which has been in print since 2004, is published three times a year and highlights ‘Human travels’ with Japanese personalities.
The objectives of the media familiarisation tour were to:
- create awareness of the KAZA region among Japanese tourists, media and travel traders;
- promote attractions outlined in the request to Coyote readers who are high-profile Japanese travellers;
- profile southern Africa’s tourist products and experiences amongst the Japanese and Asian travel traders and tourists; and
- harness the relations between RETOSA, JICA and member states to promote the growth and development of tourism in southern Africa.
The tour will increase awareness of the southern African region particularly for the countries visited by the Coyote media team.
- From the acting executive directors desk: SADC Ministers responsible for Tourism approve RETOSA’s Transformation Plan
- RETOSA invites global tour and travel stakeholders to join its Certified Expert Programme
- RETOSA Revamps Website to make it more user-friendly
- Train-the-Trainer Masterclass in Regional Tourism Quality Standards, Grading and Classification.
- RETOSA to showcase southern Africa in North America.
- Tourism Satellite Account Workshop a Resounding Success
- Malawi Digital and Social Media Workshop For Malawi Tourism and Hospitality Industry
Latest from The Editor
- First Annual Southern Africa Sustainable Tourism Development Conference
- Upcoming Events
- RETOSA Hosts 3rd Annual Southern Africa Women In Tourism Conference
- RETOSA Forms Strategic Partnerships in The United States of America and United Kingdom Tourism Industries
- RETOSA Secures Partnerships with International Radio Stations